Democracy and its limits
/ / /
Democracy remains a highly ambiguous and often contentious phenomenon. While hailed as the institutional and normative backbone of advanced capitalist states, the actual practices and spaces of democracy are continuously challenged. My work has dealt with the thresholds and limits of democracy by investigating practices that put established democratic procedures to the test. I have researched extreme activism, right-wing propaganda and political crisis, especially in the context of new media. Much of this work has been done in collaboration with Johan Farkas and Christina Neumayer, and been influenced by radical democratic theory. The questions that drive this work continue to be: under what conditions are democracy and politics (im)possible? And what are the conditions of possibility for political change?
- Farkas, J. & Schou, J. (2018) Fake News as a Floating Signifier: Hegemony, Antagonism and the Politics of Falsehood, Javnost – The Public, 25:3, 298-314, DOI: 10.1080/13183222.2018.1463047
- Farkas, J., Schou, J., & Neumayer, C. (2018) Cloaked Facebook Pages: Exploring Fake Islamist Propaganda in Social Media, New Media & Society, 20(5): 1850-1867. DOI: 10.1177/1461444817707759
- Farkas, J., Schou, J. & Neumayer, C. (2018) Platformed antagonism: Racist discourses on fake Muslim Facebook pages, Critical Discourse Studies, 15:5, 463-480. DOI:10.1080/17405904.2018.1450276
- Schou, J. (2017) Hvordan skabes et alternativ? Om det radikale demokratis mulighedsbetingelser, Politik, 3(20), pp. 138-153.
- Schou, J. (2016) Ernesto Laclau and Critical Media Studies: Marxism, Capitalism, and Critique, tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique, 14(1), pp. 292-311.
- Schou, J. & Farkas, J. (2016) Algorithms, Interfaces, and the Circulation of Information: Interrogating the Epistemological Challenges of Facebook, KOME: An International Journal of Pure Communication Inquiry, 4(1), pp. 36-49. DOI: 10.17646/KOME.2016.13
- Schou, J., Farkas, J., & Hjelholt, M. (2015) The Double Conditioning of Political Participation: Grassroots Politics on Facebook, Conjunctions: Transdisciplinary Journal of Cultural Participation, 2(2), pp. 29-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.7146/tjcp.v2i2.22921